Sunday, June 22, 2008

A salute to the champions


This is my first post and I would dedicate this to one of the most heart wrenching experiences that I have been through in the recent past. I would dedicate this to a friend who has compelled me to keep a promised that I made to him a week ago and more importantly, I would dedicate this to each and everyone of the 50-odd new friends I made that day who made me realize that I possessed what 107 million orphans worldwide dint and more importantly that those 50 little champions in the game of life possessed what I dint.

It was the beginning of the last quarter of what has been a pretty leisurely weekend when Shiva called up asking me to accompany him and two more friends, Varun and Victor to Sphoorti, an organization that is home to 50 odd orphans. It was a plan made a week ago, which I would have conveniently ignored, had Shiva not made that call.

The moment I entered, those kids greeted me as if I ve known them for ages now. This little gesture gave me the first feel of the uninhibited warmth they had for a stranger. One of them was down with a major cut on her ankle. And the care and concern the others had for her, it was indeed surprising to say the least. Another incident that really made me think occurred when we saw them play cricket. I remember the days when I was in my primary school and would quarrel with my friends at every opportunity available for that little stint out there in the middle with the bat in hand. Those kids just don’t fight. I would say that they are living far away from the so-called civilization. So far away that they just don’t know how to hate. The levels of maturity they have shown at that age were something I could never imagine all these days.

It was such a happy lot, purity and innocence personified. They were extremely satisfied with what they were getting. All they need is a bit of moral support, people who play with them, people who listen to them and people who can talk about anything that they think makes sense. These little gestures of affection just make their day so special.

I was speechless for most of while during our drive to the restaurant where we had dinner. And the factor that I just couldn’t help brooding over was, each and every child I met must ve had a tragic past or a depressing background behind him. Well, how many of them are really aware of it? If they are not, are they strong enough to withstanding the truth if they come to know? Are they resilient enough to keep their misfortune aside and go ahead with their life? Who would provide them with the answers of all the questions that might spring up once they grow???

To conclude, I would applaud the Srivyal, Founder of Sphoorti for being so efficient in keeping the children happy and I would like to thank all the people who have always stood by be through the thick and thin.

for more picture and information visit http://www.sphoorti.org/

19 comments:

Velcro said...

Lovely. The first post itself is extraordinarily captivating and heart touching. goosebumps are unavoidable. I don't think I can write something like this. Bravo mate! Truly.

victorian said...

hey pups.tat was great beginning to your blogging stuff......it was touching, emotional, and a very well organised one.!!kudos keep going! and wid some more incidents if added to that blgo it would make really awesome..

Praneeta said...

That was some blog. Completely heart wrenching. your style of putting itdown was very simple yet thought provoking. Way to go!!

Priyatam said...

beautiful.

Ravi Shankar said...

nice presentation of your thoughts. Thank you.
Regards
Ravi
http://uravishankar.wordpress.com

Quicksilver said...

welcome to the blogosphere. when didja go ? good stuff. you're growing up :)

Unknown said...

Hey Puppy awesome stuff.... was really moved by it...

kamal said...

good one dude.......

Samhita said...

first applause for ur act of visiting the place and the second one for ur piece of writing truly depicting ur feel..goog job pups!!

The Incarnation said...

Your style of presenting a putatively poignant theme is good, but the theme itself isn't something I would appreciate. Good beginning, anyway

Unknown said...

Well...now I'm touched!!!! Da post was great!!!! Blog on!!

Dark Angel said...

Very well written Puppy !! It reli shows that you felt what you wrote abt.. good going ! looking forward to more posts from you, and all the best for blogging on ! :D

Dr.Kamikazee said...

dude,really heart wrenching,it was lovely. Let's all pray for those lil' buddies we have..!!!!!On the whole very well narrated.

Saroj Gidda said...

Beautiful. I could 'live' the whole experience through your blog.

Bapu said...

When I first visited Sphoorti, there was something weird which I felt and I couldn't understand what it was until I read this post. I felt like I wasn't a stranger and that they knew me before. Its good to see children living happily helping each other without any conflicts. Finally, the post is very well written.

pranz said...

amazingly beautiful fr a first post loved it!!!! most impotantly heart touching

Ritesh. P said...

So nice of you to reach out and help the needy. [:)]

A great post to being with, more special because of its cause. Keep coming with more such posts dude, these will really bring the much-needed change to the ones who really want it.

Balu said...

Hey puppy..nice posts man..it was really great of you take your time off for such things which many people who claim themselves to be "busy" dont have..good job mate..

rik_advert said...

great stuff

www.onceanhour.com